Balance & Vestibular Rehabilitation At FYZICAL
At FYZICAL, our Doctors of Physical Therapy and our Doctors of Audiology work closely together to address, diagnose, and treat our patient’s and their Balance Disorders. This partnership allows us to fully diagnose each patient’s Balance Related Disorders and isolate the underlying causes. We are proud to feature 2 Balance and Vestibular Specialized Clinics in Las Vegas and in Henderson(Buffalo & Pecos). Both clinics have an on-site Doctor of Audiology.
Why Should I Be Concerned? Falls are the LEADING cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older Americans. In fact, Falls and Fall-Related Injuries alone costed $31 Billion in 2014 and may reach $67.7 Billion by 2020. Balance Disorders make it difficult to stay stable and upright when standing, sitting, and walking. This can lead to patient’s experiencing Social Isolation, Severe Anxiety, Physical Decline, Depression, and can severely limit a person’s ability to complete simple daily activities.
Learn More Below.
What’s Stopping You? Love Your Life™! Schedule a FREE Assessment Today!
What are Balance Disorders?
A Balance Disorder exists when someone has difficulty maintaining a stable and upright position when standing, sitting, and walking. A person with a Balance Disorder may experience tripping, swaying, stumbling, dizziness, vertigo, and falls. A person’s balance can be affected by a range of factors, including:
- Muscle Weakness
- Joint Stiffness
- Inner Ear Deficiencies
- Certain Medications (Some drugs that are prescribed for High Blood Pressure and Depression)
- Sedentary Lifestyle
Common medical conditions that may contribute to a Balance Disorder:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Cognitive Diseases
Balance Disorders become more common as we age, and most heavily affect our older population.
- 1 in 4 Americans, 65 or older, Fall each year
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in an Emergency Room for a Fall
- Every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a Fall
- Falls are the leading cause of Fatal Injuries in Older Adults
- Falls are the leading cause of Non-Fatal Trauma-Related Hospital Admissions among Older Adults
- Falls account for 40% of ALL Nursing Home Admissions
- 50% of reported Falls are the result of a Vestibular Disorder
- In 2014, the Total Financial Cost of Fall-Related Injuries was $31 Billion.
- Falls result in more than 2.8 million emergency room treatments annually
- Including over 800,000 Hospitalizations and more than 27,000 Deaths
How FYZICAL Can Help!
At FYZICAL, your Doctor of Physical Therapy will tailor a plan of care specific to your needs after the initial evaluation, taking your personal goals and aspirations into consideration. Some general treatment techinques to address your Fall Risk & Balance Disorder are:
- Reduce The Fall Risk
- At FYZICAL, our Doctors of Physical Therapy treat our Balance and Vestibular patients using an overhead harness system called, The Safety Overhead System (S.O.S). This harness system, among other things, provides our patients with a completely Fall-Free Environment while they complete their treatment/exercises. See “Safety Over System” for more information below.Additionally, ALL aspects of your lifestyle will be taken into consideration while addressing a Balance Disorder. Our Doctors of Physical Therapy will help you: determine In-Home Fall Risks, assess proper footwear for your lifestyle, and educate you on the effects of your prescription medication.
- Manual Therapy
- Manual Therapy is needed to help restore Mobility, Function, and Postural Alignment when addressing a Balance Disorder. Your Balance Disorder can be worse if you have problems stemming from: Muscle Weakness, Joint Stiffness, Inactivity, and Arthritis/Aging.
- Therapeutic Exercise
- These exercises are designed for increasing your flexibility, to help with strengthening, to help increase your activity level, and for overall endurance to help you return to your desired level of health and function. These exercises may include Static Balance (sitting and standing balance) and Dynamic Balance (balance while moving) exercises, and will progress as you improve.
- Functional Exercise
- These exercises are designed to help you return to your daily functioning activities, like work, home-life, or sports activities. These exercises are needed to help our patients, who are experiencing Severe Anxiety or have a Fear of Falling, return to their normal daily functions without limitations.
- Self-Care Instruction
- At FYZICAL, we equip our patients with the knowledge and the tools to maintain their desired level of health and function. Your Doctor of Physical Therapy will tailor a Plan of Care specific to your needs in addressing your Balance Disorder. Your Plan of Care may include: a Home Exercise Program to continue your exercises outside of treatment hours, tips to help you self-manage your care after discharge, and exposure to appropriate outlets to maintain a healthy level of activity.
Safety Overhead System
At FYZICAL, our Safety Overhead System provides our patients with a safe, fall-free environment to conduct their exercises in. The system is composed of a harness, an overhead track, and moveable trolly that allows our patients unrestricted movement while performing functional types of activities.
In addition to creating a Fall-Free Environment, the Safety Overhead System provides our patients with:
- Boosts Confidence / Safety – The system reduces the Fear of Falling, allowing our patients to challenge fully themselves with their Balance and Gait Disorders.
- Natural Range of Motion – The system allows for the patient to have unrestricted movement, unlike the paralell bar treatment equivalent.
- User Friendly / Restores Independence – The system is easily set up for our patients, and our patients utilizing Medically Based Fitness for their Balance Disorders can easily hook and un-hook themselves!
Although accidents happen daily, it is important to maintain an appropriate level of health in case you do ever experience a Fall. Fall Related Injuries can result in hospitalizations, surgeries, and even death! Our Doctors of Physical Therapy advise you to:
- Be Active – Maintain a healthy level of activtity to avoid a sedentary lifestyle. This keeps your muscles strong and flexible and keeps your heart and lungs healthy!
- Yearly Checkups – Aging is a common cause for Balance Disorders to arise. Make sure you keep track of your current level of health, especially when it comes to your Balance System! (Your Hearing, Vision, and Muscle Strength)
- Carefully Manage Chronic Diseases – Diabetes can cause long-term Balance Disorders. Be sure to manage your diet and medications to control additional symptoms of other diseases.
- Report ALL Falls – Make sure you tell your Doctor and your Doctor of Physical Therapy when you do Fall! This allows us to actively work toward correcting what caused your initial Fall before it progresses!
INJURIES DON'T WAIT. Why Should You?
FYZICAL First is our complimentary program designed with YOU in mind! FYZICAL First provides you with direct access to the quality healthcare you need when you need it!
INJURIES DON’T WAIT. Why should you? Get FYZICAL First!